Azitromicin – Use | Dose | Side Effects
Azitromicin (Hemomycin) is a medicine which belongs to the group of antibiotics. It belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotics. This medicine acts in bactericidal manner against bacteria, therefore it is used in the treatment of various infections.
This drug is used in the treatment of the following infections:
- Upper respiratory tract infections (sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis)
- Lower respiratory tract infections (pneumonia, bronchitis)
- Urinary tract infections caused by susceptible pathogens
- Inflammation of the middle ear
- Soft tissue and skin infections
Azitromicin (Hemomycin) cannot be used or can be used only with great caution in the following conditions:
- If you are allergic to Azitromicin (Hemomycin) or another similar medication. If you experience symptoms of allergy such as:
- redness of the skin,
- difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
- Liver or kidney disorder. In these patients, dose should be reduced
- If you have heart disorders
- Pregnant or breast-feeding
It can cause diarrhea very often. Consult your doctor about which medicine to take for diarrhea.
Use during pregnancy and breast feeding
According to the FDA, Azitromicin (Hemomycin) belongs to the group B (FDA: Group B). This means that there are studies on animal that have shown that it is not harmful to the fetus, but there are no studies on human. It should be used during pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the child.
This medicine passes into breast milk and may harm the baby. Avoid breast-feeding while using Azitromicin. When you stop taking this drug it takes at least 48 hours to re-start breastfeeding.
Azitromicin Use and Dose
Usually dose is Azitromicin 500 mg, once a day for 3 days.
- Alternative dosage: Azitromicin 500 mg once a day on the first day, then 250 mg once a day the next 4 days.
- Urinary infections: The recommended dose is 1000 mg at once.
It should be taken once a day with a glass of water. Do not crush the tablet, just swallow it whole.
This medicament could be taken with or without food.
It is not recommended use in children whose body weight does not exceed 50 kg. Children weighing less than 50 kg, should be taking Azitromicin syrup.
Use with other medications (Interactions)
Azitromicin (Hemomycin) cannot be used or can be used only with great caution with the following medications:
- Medications used in the treatment of migraine, so-called derivatives of ergotamine such is dihydroergotamine.
- Cyclosporin, which is used in the treatment of autoimmune diseases
- Medications used in the treatment of ulcer and for the acid neutralization in the stomach, so-called antacids such as
- aluminum hydroxide,
- magnesium hydroxide,
- aluminum carbonate,
- calcium carbonate,
- sodium hydrogen carbonate and others.
- Medications used in the treatment of thrombosis such as:
- Medications used in the treatment of heart rhythm disorders, so-called anti arrhythmics
Tell your doctor about all medicines and herbal preparations you are taking.
Azitromicin can cause the following side effects:
- diarrhea (occurs very often),
- liver damage followed with jaundice,
- dry mouth,
- dry skin,
- kidney damage followed with dysfunctional urinating,
- taste changes,
- low blood pressure (hypotension),
- inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis),
- joint pain,
- allergy and others.
If you experience any side effects, contact your doctor.