Betaloc drugs for hypertension and angina pectoris
Betaloc tablets contains an active substance called metoprolol. It belongs to group of medicines called beta blockers. Betaloc works by blocking the beta receptors in the heart, which lowers high blood pressure. Because of this effect, it is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and to prevent angina pectoris attack. Betaloc slows the heart rate and it is used to treat arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat). It is given to patients who have an increased risk of myocardial infarction. It is also used to prevent migraine attacks.
This drug should be avoided in patients allergic to metoprolol or other similar drugs, such as:
If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- swelling of the face,
- swelling of the tongue,
- difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
It should be avoided in patients with asthma, because this drug may cause narrowing of the bronchi and cause an asthma attack.
This medicine should be avoided in the following conditions:
- Cardiogenic shock.
- In patients with slow heartbeat, called atrioventricular block (II or III degree).
- Patients with adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma).
- Metabolic disorders.
- In patients with hepatic disorders.
- Diabetes mellitus, because Betaloc can increase blood glucose level.
Bear in mind that Betaloc tablets may cause dizziness and drowsiness, so it is recommended to avoid driving vehicles and operating machines while using this drug.
Use of Betaloc during pregnancy and breastfeeding
It should not be used during pregnancy unless the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the child. Avoid breastfeeding while using this medicine.
How to use Betaloc drug
The usual dose is Betaloc 50 mg, twice a day (morning and evening). You can take this drug regardless from food, because food does not affect the effect of this drug. However, Betaloc should be taken after a meal.
Make sure that you are taking tablets regularly (every day at the same time).
Hypertension (high blood pressure) often cause no symptoms, but it is necessary to regularly take your medicine to control your blood pressure even if you feel better. High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
This medicament should be avoided in combination with the following drugs:
- Other beta blockers, such as:
- timolol (it is found in the form of eye drops) and others. Concomitant use of these medications with Betaloc, increases the risk of slowing the heartbeat which may cause cardiac arrest!
- Drugs called calcium antagonists, used to treat high blood pressure, such as:
- Other drugs to treat high blood pressure and other heart problems, such as:
- prazosin (also used in the treatment of enlarged prostate),
- hydralazine, and others.
- Drugs used to treat depression, such as:
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal products you are taking.
Betaloc side effects
Betaloc may cause the following side effects:
- slow heartbeat (bradycardia),
- mood changes (depression),
- difficulty breathing,
- chest pain,
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.