Bikatulamid – Use | Dose | Side Effects
Bikalutamid (also known as Bicalutamide) is a drug that belongs to group of hormone antagonists (antiandrogens). Bikalutamid is used in the treatment of advanced cancer prostate in combination with other drugs.
- It should be avoided in patients allergic to this drug or other similar drugs. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- skin rash,
- swelling of the face,
- swelling of the tongue,
- difficulty breathing,
- contact your doctor immediately.
- Bikalutamid must not be used in children and women.
- It must be used with extra precautions in patients with liver damage, because this drug is toxic to the liver. If you are experiencing symptoms of liver damage, such as:
- dark urine,
- loss of appetite,
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), contact your doctor immediately. It is necessary to control liver function during the treatment with this medication.
- Bikalutamid can cause fainting and dizziness, therefore you should avoid driving a vehicle and operating machinery.
- It must be used with extra precautions in patients suffering from diabetes mellitus, because this drug can increase blood glucose level.
- Bikalutamid can cause photosensitivity (increased sensitivity to sunlight), therefore it is recommended to avoid increased exposure to sunlight.
Use of Bikalutamid during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Bikalutamid can be administered only in men for the treatment of prostate cancer and its use in women and children is prohibited.
How to use drug Bikalutamid
Bikalutamid 50 mg can be used once a day, regardless of the food, because food does not affect its effect. Bikalutamid must not be used in combination with alcoholic beverages.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Bikalutamid should be avoided in combination with the following drugs:
- Non-sedating H1 antihistamines, used in the treatment of allergy, such as:
- terfenadine, and others.
- Drugs used in the treatment blood coagulation disorders (blood thinners), such as:
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal products you are taking.
Bikalutamid may cause the following side effects:
- abdominal pain,
- liver damage (loss of appetite, dark urine, yellowing of the skin and eyes),
- blurred vision,
- changes in body weight,
- urinary problems,
- flu-like symptoms (sore throat, cough, fever),
- bradycardia (slow heartbeat),
- tachycardia (rapid heartbeat),
- increased sweating,
- increased thirst and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.