Cyclo Progynova – Use | Dose | Side Effects
Cyclo Progynova contains two active substances: norgestrel (0.5 mg) and estradiol (2 mg). It is a progestin and estrogen combination (hormone replacement therapy). It is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Estrogen deficiency due to female hypogonadism (condition in which the female ovaries produce little or no sex hormones).
- Irregular periods.
- Amenorrhea (absence of menstruation).
- Prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
Cyclo Progynova should be avoided in the following conditions:
- If you are allergic to any ingredients in Cyclo Progynova or other similar medicines.
- If you have breast cancer.
- Ppregnant or breastfeeding
- If you have thrombosis or if you are at risk for thrombosis (genetic predisposition, high cholesterol, patients who have survived a heart attack or stroke, and others).
- Liver damage.
If you are experiencing a severe headache while using this medicine, discontinue use and contact your doctor.
This medicine is not a contraceptive. It does not protect against pregnancy.
If you are experiencing high blood pressure, discontinue use and contact your doctor.
Contact your doctor immediately if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- chest pain (pain may also spread to your left arm and left shoulder),
- difficulty speaking,
- weakness or nausea. These symptoms could indicate a blood clot, and blood clots can cause heart attack or stroke.
This medicine can raise triglyceride levels, therefore should be avoided in patients who have high triglycerides. If triglycerides are too high, you will be at risk of developing inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
This medicine should be used only with extra precautions in the following conditions:
- If you have epilepsy
- If you have asthma
- If you have systemic lupus
Use of Cyclo Progynova during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Cyclo Progynova should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding because it may harm your baby.
How to use
If you have regular periods, then treatment should be started on the 5th day of the menstrual cycle (5th day of bleeding).
If you have irregular periods, treatment can start at any time.
One white tablet should be taken daily for the first 11 days followed by one brown tablet daily for next 10 days. After that, do not take pills for seven days, then start the new pack. You will usually have some bleeding in the pill free period. Always take the tablets at the same time of day.
Do not chew or crush the tablet. Swallow it whole with a glass of water.
It should be avoided in children under the age of 18.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Cyclo Progynova should be avoided in combination with the following medicines:
- Medicines used to treat seizures, such as:
- Medicines used in the treatment of infections (antibiotics), such as:
- azithromycin, and others. These medicines can reduce the effectiveness of the Cyclo Progynova.
Tell your doctor about any medicines or herbal products you are taking.
Cyclo Progynova may cause the following side effects:
- breast pain,
- breast sensitivity,
- headaches (including migraine),
- excessive hairiness in woman’s face,
- arms and back (hirsutism),
- abdominal pain,
- weight gain or weight loss,
- vision impairment,
- vaginal spotting,
- decreased or increased libido,
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.