Dovicin – antibiotic used in the treatment of infections
Dovicin is a drug that contains an active substance called doxycycline and belongs to a group of medicines called tetracyclines. It is an antibiotic, and it is used in the treatment of infections caused by bacteria sensitive to this drug. It is used in the treatment of following infections:
- Respiratory tract infection (bronchi, lungs, nose).
- Sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, syphilis).
- Eye infections.
- Tick-related infection.
- Urinary tract infections.
Dovicin should be avoided in patients allergic to the active substance doxycycline or other tetracyclines. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
It must not be used in children below the age of 12, because it affects the tooth development. Dovicin may cause permanent discoloration of the teeth (yellow-gray).
This drug must not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding because it may harm your baby.
This drug should be avoided in patients with swallowing problems. Dovicin can cause damage to the lining of the esophagus if retained longer in it. Therefore, it is recommended to take this medicine with plenty of water (at least 250 ml) and after drinking a pill you need to stay upright for half an hour. Do not lie down after taking this medicine, as in this case, it remains longer in the esophagus and may cause damage to the lining of the esophagus.
Dovicin should be used only with extra precautions in patients with liver or kidney disorders.
It may cause photosensitivity (increased sensitivity to sunlight), therefore it is recommended to avoid exposure to sunlight while using this medicine.
This medicament should be used only with extra precautions in patients with myasthenia gravis (severe muscle damage) as well as in the patients suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus (severe immune system disorder).
Dovicin can reduce the number of normal bacteria in the intestinal tract, and cause diarrhea but also may cause new infections. If you are experiencing diarrhea, contact your doctor.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Use of Dovicin during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended.
Dose and usage
Usual dose is 200 mg of Dovicin on the first day (100 mg twice a day). After that, you should take one tablet of 100 mg once a day.
|I day||100 mg (one tablet) in the morning (10 am) and 100 mg in the evening (10 pm)|
|100 mg (one tablet) every day at the same time (10 am)|
Duration of the treatment depends on the type of infection. Usually it is necessary to take Dovicin at least 7 days to completely heal the infection.
It should be taken with at least one glass of water (250 ml), after which you need to stay upright for half an hour, in order to avoid damage to the esophagus.
Dovicin can be taken with food or milk, although some authors believe that food can reduce the effect of this drug.
Alcohol reduces the effect of this drug, and must not be used concomitant with Dovicin.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Dovicin must not be administered in combination with the following drugs:
- Other antibiotics, such as:
- Drugs used in the treatment of thrombosis (blood thinners), such as:
- Drugs used to neutralize the stomach acid, (known as antacids), such as:
- magnesium hydroxide,
- calcium carbonate,
- aluminum hydroxide and others. These drugs can reduce the effect of Dovicin, and it is necessary to avoid concomitant use of these medicines.
- Drugs used to treat epilepsy, such as:
- Oral contraceptives (Yasmin, Microgynon and others).
- Methoxyflurane. Concomitant use of this drug can cause severe kidney damage.
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal products you are taking.
Dovicin may cause the following side effects:
- abdominal pain,
- swallowing problems,
- damage to the lining of the esophagus,
- chest pain,
- photosensitivity (increased sensitivity to sunlight),
- severe headache,
- impaired liver function,
- impaired kidney function,
- irregular heart rate (tachycardia-rapid heartbeat),
- low blood pressure (hypotension),
- discoloration of teeth in children,
- the separation of the nail from the finger,
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.