Elevit vitamin – Use in pregnancy | Dose | Side Effects
Elevit is a medicine that contains the following vitamins, minerals and trace elements:
- Vitamin A (retinol)
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenate calcium)
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B7 (biotin)
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid)
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- Vitamin D (cholecalciferol)
- Vitamin E (tocopherol)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
These vitamins, minerals and trace elements are required by the body to function normally, and you should get these substances, preferably from food. However, during pregnancy your body has increased need for abovementioned substances and it is difficult to get all the necessary vitamins through diet alone (because most pregnant women feel sick and vomit during pregnancy). That’s why this multivitamin preparation is specially designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Elevit contains almost all the necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements needed during pregnancy. Elevit does not contain iodine, so it is recommended its intake through nutrition (iodised salt can provide enough iodine). Taking these vitamins, may prevent the deformities that can occur due to the their lack.
Keep in mind that supplements cannot replace healthy eating, and it’s always best to get as many as possible vitamins, minerals and trace elements from food.
Elevit vitamin should be avoided in the following conditions:
- In patients allergic to the any of ingredient. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- skin rash,
- itching of the skin,
- swelling, discontinue use and call your doctor.
- Patients with high levels of vitamin in the blood (hypervitaminosis)
- High levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia)
- In patients with excessive urinary calcium excretion (hypercalciuria)
- In patients with high levels of magnesium in the blood (hypermagnesemia)
Taking more than one vitamin supplements during pregnancy should be avoided (because of vitamin A). If you are taking Elevit, do not take other multivitamin preparation. Taking high doses of vitamin A during pregnancy can harm your baby! Also, taking high doses of vitamin D and iron, may also harm your baby! Therefore, you should never, especially on your own, use more multivitamin preparations for pregnant women at the same time.
This medicine is specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women and covers all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements they should get.
How to use
Take one Elevit tablet with a glass of water, during your meal (preferably lunch). You should take Elevit at the same time every day.
If you forget to take this medicine, take it as soon as you remember! Do not take two tablets to make up for the dose you missed. Taking more than recommended pills, increase risk of high levels of vitamin A in your blood.
If you vomit immediately after taking your Elevit tablet (within 10 minutes of taking your tablet), take Elevit tablet again. Avoid using this medicine in the mornign if you have morning sickness.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Elevit should be avoided in combination with the following medicines:
- Antibiotics, medicines used in the treatment of bacterial infections, so-called fluoroquinolones, such as:
- Diuretics (also known as water pills), used in the treatment of heart diseases, such as:
- Digoxin, medicine used to treat heart failure
- Levodopa, medicine used to treat Parkinson’s disease
- Thyroxine, medicine used to treat thyroid disorders
- Bisphosphonates, medicines used in the treatment of osteoporosis, such as:
- ibandronate and others
- Penicillamine, medicine used in the treatment of Wilson’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis
- Antacids, medicines used for neutralizing stomach acid.
Inform your doctor about all medicines and herbal products you are taking.
Elevit Side effects
Elevit causes mild side effects:
- dark stool (iron contained in this medicine, make your stool dark),
- yellow urine (vitamin B2 contained in this medicine, make your urine yellow) and others.
These side effects are very mild and fleeting, and you should not stop using Elevit if you have these side effects.
If you are experiencing any other side effects, inform your doctor.