Information about Losartan 50 mg drug, how to use, dosage and side effects:
Drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablet contains the active substance losartan, that belongs to a group of medicines called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Angiotensin II is a substance produced in the body and binds to receptors in blood vessels causing their contraction, resulting in a rise in blood pressure. Losartan 50 mg prevents the binding of angiotensin II to identified receptors, resulting in relaxation of blood vessels and thus lowering blood pressure. Losartan 50 mg slows the decline of renal function in patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus type 2
Drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets is used:
- In the treatment of essential hypertension (high blood pressure);
- In the treatment of kidney disease in patients with hypertension and diabetes (diabetes mellitus) type 2, in which the urine proteins present in quantities ≥ 0.5 g/day (treatment under antihypertensive treatment);
- To reduce the risk of stroke in adult patients with hypertension and hypertrophy (increase) in the left ventricle.
Do not use this drug:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to losartan and/or any of the excipients;
- If you have a heavily damaged liver function;
- If you are pregnant for more than 3 months. (it is also better to avoid medication in early pregnancy).
Be careful when applying this medicine:
Tell your doctor if you think you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets are not recommended to apply in early pregnancy, and must not be applied after 3 months of pregnancy, because at that time can cause serious damage to your child. Before you start taking this medicine Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets, it is important to tell your doctor if:
- If you have ever previously had angioedema (swelling of face, lips, throat and/or tongue);
- If you suffer from severe vomiting and/or diarrhea, because it can lead to a distinct loss of fluids and salts in your body;
- If you are taking diuretics (medications that promote urination), or you are on a diet with limited intake of salt, because this can result in a marked loss of fluids and salts in your body;
- If you know that you have a narrowing or blockage of the main blood vessels leading to your kidneys or have recently transplanted kidney;
- If you have a disturbed liver function;
- If you suffer from heart failure, with (or without) renal impairment or related life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias. Take special caution, if at the same time apply a remedy from the group of beta blockers;
- If you have problems with your heart valves or heart muscle;
- If you suffer from coronary heart disease (caused by decreased blood flow in the blood vessels of the heart) or cerebrovascular disease (caused by decreased blood flow to the brain);
- If you suffer from primary hyperaldosteronism (syndrome associated with increased secretion of the hormone aldosterone from the adrenal glands, due to disturbances in the gland).
Interactions (The usage of other medicines):
Please note that this information may relate to the medicines you have no longer apply, and the medicines that you are planning to apply in the future. Tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently applied any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription. Pay special attention when, during treatment with Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablet you apply:
- Other medicines for high blood pressure because they may further reduce the value of your blood pressure. Blood pressure can be lowered and the following drugs/drug classes: tricyclic antidepressants, antipsychotics, baclofen and amifostine;
- medicines which retain potassium or may increase potassium levels (eg, potassium supplements and salt substitutes containing potassium, or potassium-sparing drugs such as certain diuretics, such as amiloride, triamterene and spironolactone, or such as heparin);
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as indomethacin and COX -2 inhibitors (drugs that reduce inflammation, and can be used for pain relief), because they can reduce the effect of losartan in lowering blood pressure;
Concomitant use of these drugs can also lead to a deterioration in kidney function, especially in patients with already impaired renal function. Medicines containing lithium should not be used in combination with losartan, without strict supervision of your doctor. Special precautions (eg, blood tests) may be appropriate.
Taking Losartan 50 mg with food and liquid:
This drug may be administered with or without food.
Drug use during pregnancy and breastfeeding:
Before you start to apply some medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Pregnancy: Be sure to inform your doctor if you think you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Your doctor will surely advise you to stop using Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets before you become pregnant or as soon as you know you are pregnant and will advise you to use another medication. Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets are not recommended to apply in early pregnancy, and must not be applied after 3 months of pregnancy, because at that time can cause serious damage to your child.
Breastfeeding: Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding or about to start breast-feeding. The drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets are not recommended during breast-feeding, and your doctor will discuss during this period you may select another drug (especially during the period of breastfeeding a newborn baby or breast-feeding premature infants).
The effect of this drug on the management of motor vehicles and machinery operation:
There are no information on the influence of losartan on ability to drive and/or operate machinery. Losartan 50 mg is unlikely to affect your ability to drive and/or operate machinery. However, as with many other medicines used to lower blood pressure, losartan may cause dizziness or drowsiness in some people. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, you should consult with your doctor before you start to operate the vehicles and/or operate machinery.
Apply the medication exactly as your doctor has prescribed. If you feel that the medicine is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets always be followed exactly as recommended by your doctor. Your doctor will decide which dose Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablet is best suited for you, depending on your health condition and other medication you primjenjujete. It is important to continue using the drug Losartan 50 film-coated tablets for as long as prescribed by your doctor, to maintain proper control of your blood pressure.
Method of application:
Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets should be swallowed with a glass of water. Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets may be administered with or without food. Try your daily dose applied daily at regular times.
Use in adults: Essential hypertension (high blood pressure). The usual starting and maintenance dose is 50 mg once a day. Maximum antihypertensive effect is achieved 3 to 6 weeks of therapy. In some patients can achieve additional therapeutic benefit by increasing the dose to 100 mg once daily (in the morning).
- Renal disease in patients with hypertension and diabetes (diabetes mellitus) type 2, in which the urine proteins present in quantities ≥ 0.5 g/day The usual starting dose is 50 mg once a day. After a month or more than a month of treatment, in accordance with therapeutic response, the dose may be increased to 100 mg once a day.
- Reducing the risk of stroke in adult patients with hypertension and hypertrophy (increase) in the left ventricle. The usual starting dose is 50 mg once a day. If necessary, depending on the actual values of blood pressure, you can add a small dose of diuretic (a drug for urination), and/or increase the dose of losartan 100 mg once a day. Use in patients with renal impairment and in patients on hemodialysis is not necessary to adjust the starting dose in patients with renal impairment or in patients undergoing hemodialysis. Use in patients with hepatic impairment of losartan is contraindicated in patients with severe hepatic impairment.
Use in children: Essential hypertension (high blood pressure). In children and adolescents with hypertension, aged 6 to 18 years, body weight > 50 kg, the usual dose of losartan is 50 mg once a day. In exceptional cases, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 100 mg once a day. Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets are not adapted for use in hypertensive children and adolescents aged 6 to 18 years, if their body weight less than 50 kg.
It is not recommended Losartan 50 mg use in children younger than 6 years. Not recommended for use of losartan in children with renal impairment in which the glomerular filtration rate <30 ml/min/1 , 73 m2 . Losartan is also not recommended for use in children with hepatic impairment.
Use in the elderly: It is not usually necessary to adjust the dose of losartan in the elderly. However, in some patients older than 75 years, it may be necessary to apply a lower starting dose.
If you apply more than the prescribed amount of medication, consult your doctor or pharmacist! If you accidentally apply too many tablets, contact your doctor. Symptoms of overdose include low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, but it can also be a slow heartbeat.
If you forget to take the drug:
If you forget to take the drug, do not use double dose later. Continue to use the drug according to the usual schedule. If you have any further questions on the use of the drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
If you stop taking this medicine:
Apply this medicine for as long as prescribed by the doctor. Always consult your doctor if you believe that you should stop using this medicine.
If you experience any of the following symptoms mentioned above, the drug Losartan 50 mg film-coated tablets cease to apply, and you should contact your doctor or the nearest health facility for help. More information about Losartan 50 mg side effects.
This drug is also known as: Cozaar
For more information about drug Losartan 50 mg visit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losartan