Mydocalm – Use | Dose | Side Effects
Mydocalm is a medicine that contains an active substance called tolperisone. It belongs to a group of centrally acting muscle relaxants. It is used to relieve symptoms of high muscle tone (abnormal increase in muscle tension). It should be used only in response to clear indication. Never take this medicine without consulting your doctor.
Mydocalm should be avoided in the following conditions:
- In patients allergic to the active substance tolperisone or other similar medicines. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- redness of the skin,
- itchy skin,
- swelling of the face,
- swelling of the tongue,
- swelling of the lips,
- shortness of breath, discontinue use and contact your doctor immediately. Anaphylactic shock have been reported in patients who have used this medicine. Women above the age of 65 are at higher risk for allergy.
- During pregnancy
- During breastfeeding
- In patients with myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disease)
It should be used only with extra precautions in patients with hepatic or renal impairment.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Mydocalm should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Use and Dose
The usual dose is Mydocalm 150 mg, 1-3 times a day. It should be taken after meal. The maximum daily dose is 450 mg.
Treatment should be as short as possible.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
It should be avoided in combination with the following medicines:
- Beta-blockers, medicines used in the treatment of heart disease, such as:
- Venlafaxine, a medicine used in the treatment of depression, anxiety and social phobia. Mydocalm can increase the level of venlafaxine in the blood, thus increasing the risk of side effects.
- Thioridazine, an antipsychotic medicine. Mydocalm can increase the level of this medicine in the blood, increasing the risk of side effects.
This medicine should be avoided in combination with alcoholic beverages, because alcohol can increase the risk of side effects!
Mydocalm Side effects
Mydocalm may cause the following side effects:
- stomach upset,
- somnolence (drowsiness),
- muscle pain,
- muscle weakness,
- hypotension (low blood pressure),
- rapid heartbeat (tachycardia),
- dry mouth,
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.