Fluimucil (Acetylcysteine) - Use | Dose
Fluimucil belongs to the family of medicines called mucolytics. It is used to treat airway disorders characterized by the increased mucus production, such as:
- Acute bronchitis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary emphysema
Fluimucil medicine effects
Acetylcysteine (active compound of the Fluimucil), reduces mucus viscosity in non-purulent and purulent lung secretions. The mucolytic effect of acetylcysteine is based on hydrolyzing disulfide bonds in mucus, which break down the mucus into thinner units, which are easier to get out of the body.
Acetylcysteine exerts a direct antioxidant action, due to its free thyol (-SH) groups. Acetylcysteine increases the ciliary activity.
Acetylcysteine is also used in the treatment of paracetamol poisoning.
It should be avoided in following conditions:
- If you are allergic to active compound (acetylcysteine) or any other similar medicines. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as: itchy skin, hives, swelling of the lips, swelling of the tongue or difficulty breathing, call your doctor immediately.
- Duodenal ulcers.
- Asthma and status asthmaticus.
Use of Fluimucil during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Animal studies have shown no teratogenic effects, but there are no human studies.
It should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It can be used during pregnancy, only if the benefit to the mother outweighs risk to the child.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Acetylcysteine should be avoided in combination with following medicines:
- Cefuroxime (an antibiotic). Concomitant use of Acetylcysteine with this medicine, increases the concentration of cefuroxime.
- Other medicines used to treat cough.
How to use
Dissolve one effervescent tablet in a glass of water, stir if necessary and drink.
Adults and children over 14 years:
- One Fluimucil effervescent tablet (200 mg), 2-3 times a day.
Children 7 to 14 years old:
- One Fluimucil effervescent tablet (200 mg), 1-2 times a day.
Treatment should last 5-10 days.
There has been no report of overdose.
This medicine is well tolerated and rarely causes side effects.
Fluimucil may cause following side effects:
- Bronchospasm (difficulty breathing)
- Tightness in chest
- Flu-like symptoms (runny nose and fever)
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Low blood pressure and high blood pressure
- Low potassium level
- Joint pain
- Blurred vision
Call your doctor, if you are experiencing any side effects.
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.