Acys-5 - Use | Interactions | Side Effects
Acys-5 (Acetylcysteine - Fluimucil) belongs to group of medicines called mucolytics. It is used to treat lung diseases, accompanied by excessive secretions from the air passages, such as:
- Acute and chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Mucoviscidosis (genetic disorder that affects lungs)
- Cystic fibrosis
It also can be used to prevent contrast-induced kidney damage (dye-related kidney damage).
How this medicine works
Acys-5 contains an active substance called acetylcysteine that decrease viscosity of both purulent and non-purulent mucus. The mucolytic effect of this medicine is based on breaking disulfide bonds between mucoproteins in mucus, thereby decreasing viscosity.
Acys-5 should be avoided in following conditions:
- In patients allergic to the active compound (acetylcysteine) or any other similar medicines
- In patients with gastric or duodenal ulcers
- In patients with asthma
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding
Use of Acys-5 during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Acys-5 should be used during pregnancy only if the benefits to the mother outweighs the risk to the child. Talk to your doctor first, before you start taking this medicine.
There are no data whether this medicine passes into breast milk. It should be avoided during breastfeeding.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Acys-5 should be avoided in combination with following medicines:
- Antibiotics, such is Cefuroxime. Concomitant use of Acys-5 and this medicine may increase concentration of cefuroxime in the blood and increase risk of side effects.
- Other cough medicines (cough suppressants), such as:
- noscapine and others. Concomitant use of Acys-5 and these medicines should be avoided, because cough suppressants block your cough reflex while Acys-5 increase the amount of mucus. This leads to mucus accumulation which cannot be coughed up, because of the blocked cough reflex.
Tell your doctor about all medications you are taking.
How to use
Acys-5 dosage forms include: effervescent tablets. Drop one efferescent tablet into 8 oz of water and stir until dissolved and drink mixture right away.
Dosage: Adults and children over 14 years
One effervescent tablet 200 mg dissolved as directed above, 2-3 times a day.
Dosage: Children aged 7 to 14 years
One effervescent tablet 200 mg dissolved as directed above, 1-2 times a day. Treatment usually lasts for 5-10 days. Call your doctor if you your symptoms do not improve after 10 days.
This medicine is well tolerated.
However, as every other medicine, this one too may cause side effects. It may cause following side effects:
- Stomach pain
- Dark-colored stools
- Allergic reaction (urticaria and bronchospasm)
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Runny nose
Call your doctor right away if you are experiencing any side effects.