Alteril - Insomnia | Use | Dose | Effects
Category Herbal sleep medicines
Alteril is a medicine that contains melatonin, valerian, L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine. All four substances are sleep inducers therefore Alterin is used to treat insomnia. It is completely natural product. It belongs to non-prescription medicine (also known as OTC products).
- Melatonin is a hormone found naturally in the body and it is necessary for regular sleep
- Valerian is plant that has a sedative effect, and do not cause addiction (like some medicines). It does not leave you feel hung over the next day, like some other medicines.
- L-Tryptophan is amino acid necessary for production of melatonin (known as hormone of the night)
- L-Theanine is amino acid found in the teas. It decrease stress and anxiety and neutralizes bad effects of caffeine.
It should be avoided in patients allergic to any of the ingredients (melatonin, valerian, L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine). If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- itchy skin,
- skin rash,
- redness of the skin,
- swelling of the face,
- swelling of the lips,
- difficulty breathing
immediately call your doctor.
Alteril should be avoided in patients under the age of 12, because the lack of data.
This medicine should be avoided in patients taking benzodiazepines, medicines used to treat insomnia and anxiety.
It should be avoided in patients with brain disorders.
Avoid use of alcoholic beverages while using this medicine, because concomitant use increases the risk of side effects.
If you are going to have a surgery, inform your doctor that you are using Alteril, because this medicine slows down nervous system and may interact with anesthetics.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Alteril should be used during pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother outweighs risk to the child. Talk with your doctor about benefits and risks of using this medicine during pregnancy.
Avoid breastfeeding while using this medicine.
How to use
You should take one Alteril tablet, half an hour before sleep. Swallow the tablet whole with glass of water. Do not crush or chew the tablet, because it may affect this medicine.
You can take it regardless of food, because food does not affect this medicine.
This medicine does not cause addiction, and can be safely used for longer period of time (4-6 weeks). However, if you have insomnia more than a month, call your doctor. Do not use this medicine longer than 6 weeks without your doctor's advice.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Alteril should be avoided in combination with following medicines:
- Benzodiazepines, such as:
- midazolam, and others. These medicines are used to treat insomnia and anxiety. Inform your doctor that you are using Alteril, before you start using benzodiazepines.
- Other sedatives
- Central nervous system depressants, such as:
- morphine and others.
- Warfarin, medicines used to treat blood clotting disorders (known as blood thinner)
Tell your doctor about all medicines and herbal products you are using.
Alteril may cause following side effects:
- stomach upset,
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any of abovementioned side effects.