Ambroxol belongs to the mucolytic group of medicines. This medicine works by helping to break down the structure of mucus in the lungs and therefore facilitates expectoration. It is used to treat acute and chronic respiratory diseases accompanied by an increased mucus production.
It should be avoided in the following conditions:
- If you are allergic to Ambroxol or other similar medicines. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- itching of the skin,
- redness of the skin,
- swelling of the tongue,
- difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
- If you have ever had disorder called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. This drug can cause this syndrome. Steven-Johnson syndrome is a life-threatening skin disorder, manifested by red macula on the skin, which eventually bursts leaving sores. It should be noted that this medicine rarely causes this side effect. However, you should know that it is necessary to immediately contact your doctor if you are experiencing any skin changes.
- It should be avoided in children below the age of 2.
It should be used with extra precautions in the following conditions:
- Liver disorder. The primary place of this drug metabolism is liver, so if there is a liver damage, it may accumulate in your body and cause side effects.
- Kidney failure. This drug is excreted in urine via the kidneys, so if there is a kidney damage, it may accumulate in your body.
- Stomach ulcer. This medicine can damage the walls of your stomach and make ulcers worse.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
It should be used during pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the child. Animal studies revealed no harmful effects of Ambroxol to the fetus, but there are no studies on humans.
Ambroxol passes into breast milk, therefore it is not recommended to use this medicine during breastfeeding.
How to use
Dose forms include: Ambroxol 15 mg/5 ml syrup, 30 mg/5 ml syrup, 60 mg effervescent tablets, 30 mg tablets and Ambroxol 10 mg/dose spray.
Ambroxol 10 mg/ml spray:
|Patients above the age of 12||3 doses of a spray, 3 times a day (8 hours), no more than 7 days.|
|Children below the age of 12||It is not recommended use of spray 10mg/ml in these patients.|
10 mg/ml spray should be used after meal.
Ambroxol 60 mg effervescent tablets:
|Patients above the age of 12||1/2 (one half) of effervescent tablet, 2-3 times a day. It should be dissolved in a glass of water and taken after a meal.|
|Children below the age of 12||Use of Ambroxol 60 mg effervescent tablets is not recommended in these patients.|
Ambroxol 15 mg/5 ml syrup:
|Children below the age of 2||1/2 (one half) of dosing spoon, twice a day|
|Children aged 2-5 years||1/2 (one half) of dosing spoon, three times a day|
|Children aged 6-12 years||1 tablespoon, 2-3 times a day|
|Patients above the age of 12||2 tablespoons, 3 times a day|
The syrup should be taken after a meal. The Ambroxol syrup should not be used for more than 7 days.
Ambroxol 30 mg/5 ml syrup:
|Patients above the age of 12||1 tablespoon (2 teaspoons), twice a day|
|Children below the age of 12||Use of Ambroxol 30 mg/5 ml syrup is not recommended in these patients|
Ambroxol 30 mg tablets:
|Patients above the age of 12||30 mg (one tablet), three times a day, after meal. Ambroxol 30 mg tablets should not be used for more than 7 days.|
|Children aged 6-12 years||1/2 (one half) of a tablet (15 mg), 2-3 times a day after meal, not more than 7 days.|
|Children below the age of 6||Use of Ambroxol 30 mg tablets is not recommended in these patients|
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
There are no known interactions with other medicines. Tell your doctor if you are using other medications for cough treatment, since the concomitant use of Ambroxol with other cough medicines may lead to mucus accumulation.
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal medicines you are taking.
This medicine may cause the following side effects:
- abdominal pain,
- digestive disorders,
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (a life-threatening skin disorder),
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any of abovementioned side effects.