Bondronat - use | preventing osteoporosis
Active pharmaceutical ingredient of Bondronat is ibandronic acid. It belongs to family of drugs known as bisphosphonates. Bondronat is one of the most commonly used treatment for woman with postmenopausal osteoporosis. During postmenopausal period estrogen levels are decreased, which increases risk for weakening of bones (osteoporosis). Osteoporosis is a disease in which bones become more fragile because of low bone density due to bone loss.
- Bondronat should be used cautiously in patients having esophagus damage, since this drug can cause damage to the esophagus. For the same reasons, this drug should be avoided in patients having difficulty swallowing. This drug should be taken with at least one glass of water (250 ml). You need to stay upright for at least an hour after taking a tablet. After taking a tablet avoid sitting and lying down, because you may experience esophagus damage.
- Never take Bondronat before you go to sleep! Take this drug first thing after waking up. If you don't take your pill in the morning, than you should wait till next day.
- After drinking Bondronat, you should not take any food or drink (except plain water) or other medicines (including vitamins) for an hour. Food, beverages and other medications can slow the absorption of Bondronat tablet and reduce its effect. You should not take this drug with juices, mineral (carbonated) water and other liquids. You can take this drug only with water.
- It should be used with caution in patients with low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcaemia).
- Bondronat should be avoided in patients allergic to the active substance, ibandronic acid or other similar drugs.
- It must be used with extra precautions in patients with kidney disorders as well as in the patients with metabolic disorder.
Bondronat therapy in pregnant woman and breastfeeding mothers
This drug should not be used during pregnancy or during lactation.
How to use Bondronat
As already described, it is very important that you take Bondronat tablets in the morning on an empty stomach.
If you plan to take Bondronat tablets tomorrow morning, tonight after 7 p.m you must not eat or drink, except plain water.
Take the pill with at least 8 ounce glass of water. Taking pill with a lots of liquid decrease risk of esophagus damage.
Recommended dose is one pill per month.
Take your tablets as long as your doctor recommended.
What medications to avoid while taking Bondronat
Below are listed drugs that you should avoid while on Bondronat therapy:
- Painkillers (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs), such as:
- diclofenac (Diklofen),
- ibuprofen (Brufen),
- naproxen, and many others.
- Antacids, drugs used to relieve the symptoms of heartburn.
- OTC products containing calcium, iron or magnesium
Concomitant use with these drugs reduces the effects of Bondronat.
You need to inform your physician about all medications and herbal remedies you are taking.
Adverse effects of Bondronat include:
- damage to the esophagus (difficulty swallowing, pain when swallowing),
- low calcium levels in the blood (hypocalcaemia),
- abdominal pain,
- sore throat
- chest pain,
- allergic reaction
Inform your physician if you get any adverse effects.