Brown rice diet - Weight Loss | Meal Plan
The brown rice diet was designed by doctors in USA nearly a century ago and was intended for people who had problems with high blood pressure and blood sugar. As it was observed that this diet had a phenomenal effect on weight loss, it began to be used in obese people.
Why is brown rice better for weight loss than white rice?
Brown rice contains more dietary fiber that is known to bind water, swell and maintain a feeling of satiety for a long time. The more dietary fiber food has, the longer it will keep you full. Brown rice has more calories than white rice but because of the higher content of dietary fiber, brown rice is recommended as much more suitable for weight loss.
The health benefits of brown rice
Brown rice is rich in complex carbohydrates (primarily dietary fiber) which exerts a positive effect on health.
One cup (195 grams) of cooked brown rice contains: 20 mg of calcium, 85 mg of magnesium, 150 mg of phosphorus, 150 mg of potassium, 1.2 mg of zinc and 1 mg of iron. It also contains vitamin B but it does not contain vitamin A and vitamin D.1
In addition to its beneficial effect on weight loss, it has been proven that brown rice lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes and is beneficial for people who already have diabetes.2,3,4
Brown rice has a great effect on lowering total cholesterol in the blood.4
Studies have shown that these positive effects are related only to brown rice but not with white rice.
Brown rice does not contain large amounts of protein (only 4 grams of protein in 1 cup) and bearing in mind that these foods reduce protein digestibility5, you should pay attention to your protein intake during the diet. Protein intake should be increased during the diet in order to meet the daily protein requirements.
Because sbrown rice contains large amounts of potassium and phosphorus, this diet should not be used in patients who have kidney problems. In this case, the kidneys cannot regulate the potassium level which leads to accumulation of this mineral in the blood. High levels of potassium in the blood can cause arrhythmias.
Rules of the Brown rice dietIt is necessary to follow certain rules in order to take best advantage of this diet:
- You can eat three main meals but you must not eat anything between meals
- Reduce your intake of saturated fat, salt and meat
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
Benefits of the Brown rice diet
- Low calorie and efficient
- Cheap (rice is an inexpensive food)
- Tasty food
Brown rice diet - meal plan
Breakfast is always the same: 1 cup (195 grams) of cooked brown rice with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Lunch: 1/2 cup (100 grams) of cooked brown rice with a piece of chicken white meat and salad
- Dinner: Brown rice cooked with vegetables of your choice
- Lunch: Vegetable soup and 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
- Dinner: 100 grams of fried mushrooms and salad
- Lunch: 150 grams of salmon and salad
- Dinner: 1/2 cup of brown rice with a ¼ cup of peas
- Lunch: 1/4 cup of brown rice, 1/4 cup of peas and a slice of turkey breast meat
- Dinner: 1/4 cup of brown rice, 100 grams of walnuts, 50 grams of hazelnuts and one orange
- Lunch: 1/2 cup of boiled rice and 1/2 cup of yogurt
- Dinner: Same as Day III
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.