Calcium dobesilate - Use | Dose | Effects
Calcium dobesilate is a medicine that belongs to a group of medicines called venotonics (medicines used to treat venous circulation abnormalities). This medicine works on capillary wall by changing capillary resistance and reducing capillary permeability. Also, this medicine decreases platelet aggregation (clotting - adhesion of platelets) and reduces the serum viscosity, which improves blood circulation and blood supply to tissues and organs. This medicine is also an antioxidant (prevents damage from free radicals).
Because of these effects, this medicine is used to treat chronic venous insufficiency (problems with blood flow form the veins of the legs to the heart causing lower extremity discomfort). It is also used for preventing the progression of diabetic retinopathy (damage to the blood vessels in the retina caused by diabetes also known as diabetic eye disease). If left untreated, diabetic retinopathy can cause vision loss.
Some studies have shown that this medicine is effective in the treatment of hemorrhoids in combination with proper diet. 1
Calcium dobesilate should be avoided in patients who are allergic to calcium dobesilate or other similar medicines.
It should be used only with extra precautions in the following conditions:
- Patients with renal impairment.
- In patients under the age of 18.
- In patients with agranulocytosis (low white blood cell count). This medicine can (although very rarely) decrease the number of white blood cells (agranulocytosis) which affect the body's ability to fight against various infections. If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, such as:
- sore throat,
- fever and others, contact your doctor immediately, as these symptoms may indicate agranulocytosis!
Use of Calcium dobesilate during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Calcium dobesilate can be used during pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the child.
Avoid breastfeeding while using this medicine.
How to use
Recommended dosage of Calcium dobesilate 500 mg capsules:
|Chronic venous insufficiency||Take one Calcium dobesilate 500 mg capsule twice a day, with breakfast and dinner (in the morning and in the evening).|
|Diabetic retinopathy||Take one Calcium dobesilate 500 mg capsule three times a day, with breakfast, lunch and dinner (in the morning, around noon and in the evening).|
Swallow the capsules whole with a glass of water. Always take Calcium dobesilate capsules with a meal.
Do not chew or crush the capsule, as this can affect their effectiveness.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
There are no known interactions with other medicines.
Calcium dobesilate may cause the following side effects:
- agranulocytosis (low white blood cell count) which consequently may lead to weakened immune system with occurrence of flu-like symptoms (sore throat, cough and fever),
- joint pain (arthralgia),
- allergy and others.
This medicine rarely causes side effects when it is taken as recommended (500-1500 mg daily).2
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.
- Mentes BB, Gorgul A, Tatlicioglu E, and others. Efficacy of calcium dobesilate in treating acute attacks of hemorrhoidal disease. Dis Colon Rectum 2001: 44 (10): 1489-95.
- Allain H, Ramelet AA, Pollard E, and others. Safety of calcium dobesilate in chronic venous disease, diabetic retinopathy and haemorrhoids. Drug Saf 2004: 27 (9): 649-60.