Cavinton - Use | Dose | Side Effects
Cavinton is a medicine that contains an active substance called vinpocetine. It belongs to nootropics (a group of medicines that improve memory and cognitive functions). It works by improving the blood flow in the brain therefore improves memory. It is also used to improve symptoms in Alzheimer's disease.
Some studies have shown that this medicine may be helpful in treating menstrual disorders and chronic fatigue syndrome. It can also be used in patients who have recently suffered a stroke.
Cavinton should be avoided in the following patients:
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- In children under the age of 18.
- In patients with a heart disease.
- Blood clotting disorders.
- In patients with immune system disorders.
Patients planning the surgery must tell their surgeon that they are taking this medicine.
Tell your doctor immediately if you are experiencing rapid heartbeat (arrhythmia), high blood pressure (hypertension) or chest pain, as this may be signs of possible heart attack.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medicine should be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
How to use
The usual dose is 5 mg - 10 mg (one or two tablets of Cavinton), three times per day.
Tablets should be taken after meals to reduce the risk of stomach problems.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Cavinton should be avoided in combination with the following drugs:
- Warfarin (Farin), a drug used to treat blood clotting disorders (also known as blood thinner). Concomitant use of this medicine with Cavinton increases the risk of bleeding.
- Drugs that affect blood clotting, such as:
- acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin, Andol, Cardiopirin),
- clopidogrel (Plavix),
- diclofenac (Diklofen, Volateren),
- ibuprofen (Nurofen) and others. Concomitant use with above listed drugs increases the risk of bleeding.
- Methyl dopa, a drug used in the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Drugs used to treat heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmias).
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal products you are taking.
Cavinton may cause the following side effects:
- loss of appetite,
- upset stomach,
- dry mouth,
- high blood cholesterol,
- high blood triglycerides,
- decrease in the number of white blood cells,
- decreased number of platelets in the blood,
- high blood pressure (hypertension),
- heart rhythm disorders,
- chest pain,
- thrombophlebitis (vein inflammation),
- allergy and others.
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.