Citrus diet - Weight loss | Efficacy | Meal plan
The citrus diet is based on an increased intake of citrus fruits (lemon, orange, mandarin and grapefruit).
Citrus fruit is known for its high content of vitamin C as well as B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and calcium. This fruit does not have a lot of calories so 1 cup (245 grams) of lemon juice contains only 50 calories.
It also contains other substances, such as:
- Phenolic acids
- Citrus acid
- Essential oils
All these ingredients exert different beneficial effects on health, such as:
- Neuroprotective effects
- Cardiovascular protective effects
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Anti-carcinogenic effects
- It is beneficial in patients with diabetes because it prevents a sudden rise of blood sugar levels after a meal.
Studies have shown that citrus fruit reduces the risk of breast cancer.1
How the Citrus diet leads to weight loss?
Citrus fruits contain citrus acid that stimulates the secretion of juices and enzymes in the stomach and these regulates digestion. By regulating digestion, the Citrus diet will help your body to utilize nutrients that lower fat absorption which reduces the creation of unnecessary calories in the body. In addition, poor digestion leads to a listless and depressed mood where many are less physically active.
Lemon and orange contain plenty of pectin (a well-known dietary fiber), which fights against hunger and plays an important role in improving the digestion and removing unwanted substances from the body.
A cup of warm water and lemon juice make an excellent energy drink and a "shot" of vitamins.
The disadvantage of the Citrus diet is that because of the extremely low caloric intake, it is likely that you will often experience headaches, fatigue and exhaustion. Do not remain on this diet for more than a month.
The advantages of the Citrus diet are that it is cheap, easy to handle and highly effective.
Rules of the Citrus diet
You should follow these rules if you want to reduce your weight fast, such as:
- The first thing you need to do every morning is to drink a cup of warm water and lemon juice
- You should not drink alcoholic beverages
- You should not drink more than one coffee a day
- You have eat at least five servings of fruits each day
- You should eat lemon peel during one meal each day
- Avoid foods such as: white bread, potatoes, rice, sweets and snacks. These foods can reduce the effects of this diet and slow weight loss.
- Eat fish
The efficacy of the Citrus diet
Projected weight loss in a month: 20 lbs. (9 kg).
Citrus diet - diet plan
Breakfast is always the same: one orange, one pear, 1/2 grapefruit, a slice of watermelon and a slice of toast.
- Lunch: one boiled egg, one orange
- Dinner: two tomatoes, one cucumber and two boiled eggs
- Lunch: Two biscuits, one orange, one boiled egg and 1/4 cup of sour cream
- Dinner: 1/2 cup (110 grams) of ground veal, one tomato and one piece of toast
- Lunch: one boiled egg, one orange, one grapefruit and two slices of cucumber
- Dinner: 1 cup (125 grams) of white turkey meat, one piece of toast and one orange
- Lunch: 4.5 oz. (125 grams) of cheese and 100 grams of mackerel or salmon
- Dinner: Same as second day
- Lunch: 7 oz. (200 grams) of cooked fish, lettuce, and one orange after a meal
- Dinner: Boiled/cooked vegetables (carrots, broccoli, peas and potatoes)
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.