Eftil - Use | Dosage | Side Effects
Eftil is from an antiepileptic group of medicines sometimes called anticonvulsants. This is one of the most commonly used medicines in the treatment of generalized epilepsy (generalized seizures). It reduces the incidence of convulsions (seizures) and brain damage. This drug is also very effective in the pediatric population.
It can be used in the treatment of manic depression in bipolar disorder.
Eftil can be used for the prevention of migraine headache.
This medicament cannot be used or can be used, only with great caution in the following conditions:
- Urea cycle disorder.
- Liver damage
- Patients with genetic disorders such as Alper's syndrome
- Patients infected with the HIV virus or cytomegalovirus
- Pancreas damage (pancreatitis)
- Dehydrated patients
Certainly, the most dangerous side effect of Eftil is liver damage, which can be fatal! Liver damage is especially more often in children younger than 2 years. Eftil should not be used in children younger than 2 years! If you notice signs of liver damage, such as:
- abdominal pain,
- severe nausea and vomiting,
- change in urine color (dark urine),
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
immediately contact your doctor! Liver damage can be fatal!
Eftil should not be used during pregnancy because it may harm your baby!
Do not use this medicine in to prevent migraine attacks if you are planning to become pregnant!
Eftil may cause suicidal thoughts especially when is taken for the first time. Immediately contact your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts! This side effect is more common in younger people who already have some mental disorder or have had suicidal thoughts in the past.
Use during pregnancy and breast feeding
Eftil may harm your unborn baby. However, seizures may also damage the your unborn baby, and therefore use of this drug for the treatment of epilepsy during pregnancy is justified! In this case the benefit to the mother is greater than the risk to the child.
It cannot be used in the treatment of bipolar disorders and for the prevention of migraine headaches in pregnancy. In this case, the benefit to the mother is not greater than the risk to the child, and use of Eftil for this purpose during pregnancy is not recommended!
Eftil passes into breast milk and may harm your baby. Avoid breast-feeding while using Eftil.
Driving and using machines
Eftil may cause blurred vision and dizziness, and if you notice these symptoms, do not operate vehicles and machinery.
Eftil Use and Dose
Eftil is usually taken several times a day with plenty of water. Be sure to drink plenty of water while using Eftil, because if your body is dehydrated, there is an increased risk of side effects.
Make sure to take the drug always at the same time a day.
Do not chew the tablet. Swallow the tablet with plenty of water.
It can be taken with or without food. If you have side effects such as nausea and vomiting, it is recommended to take Eftil with food.
The dose depends on the severity of the condition as well as the body weight of the patients.
- For the treatment of epilepsy dosage ranges from 10 mg/kg to 60 mg/kg.
- Dosage for children: 10 mg/kg.
Example: If your doctor prescribes you a dose of 10 mg/kg and you have eg. 70 kg, then your dose will be: 70x10 = 700 mg. Thus, the dosage would be 700 mg per day, divided into multiple doses.
Your doctor will determine the best dose for you.
The initial dose for the treatment of manic depression is 750 mg daily, divided into multiple doses. Your doctor may gradually increase your dose.
- Prevention of migraine headaches: 250 mg twice a day.
Eftil does not relieve the migraine headache, if migraine headache already occurred. Eftil only reduces the frequency of migraine attacks!
It cannot be used in combination with alcoholic beverages, because of the increased risk of liver damage.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Eftil cannot be used or can be used, only with great caution with the following medications:
- Tricyclic antidepressants used in the treatment of depression such as:
- desipramine and others.
- MAO inhibitors used in the therapy of depression, such as:
- moclobemide and others.
- Medicines used in the treatment of viral infections such as:
- zidovudine and others.
- Anticoagulant medicines used in the treatment of thrombosis, such as:
- warfarin (Farin),
- nadroparin (Fraxiparin) and others.
- Benzodiazepines used in the therapy of insomnia, such as:
- diazepam (Bensedin),
- alprazolam and others.
- Carbapenems, very strong antibiotics, used only in the hospital setting.
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal preparations you are using.
Eftil may cause the following side effects:
- changes in appetite,
- weight gain,
- flu-like symptoms (fever, sore throat, cough, sneezing, runny nose),
- alopecia (hair loss),
- blurred vision,
- mood swings,
- suicidal thoughts,
- chest pain,
- irregular heartbeat,
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking of the body, usually the hands),
- liver damage which is manifested by
- pain stomach,
- loss of appetite,
- severe nausea,
This medicine can sometimes cause a worsening of seizures.
Eftil as well as all other medicines, can cause an allergic reaction. Allergy symptoms include:
- skin rash,
- swelling of the tongue,
- swelling of the throat,
- swelling of the face,
- difficulty breathing. The allergic reaction can lead to anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal!
Immediately contact your doctor if you notice any side effect.