Fortrans - How to Use | Side Effects
This article was medically reviewed by M.Pharm, Marko Tanaskovic on August 12, 2018. To read more about an author, click here.
Fortrans powder for oral solution contains the following ingredients:
- Macrogol in an amount of 64 grams
- Sodium chloride in an amount of 1.46 grams
- Potassium chloride in an amount of 0.75 grams
- Sodium hydrogen carbonate in an amount of 1.68 grams
- Sodium sulfate in an amount of 5.7 grams
It is used for emptying the contents of the colon or the so-called colonic lavage. Emptying the contents of the colon is done in the following situations:
- Preparation for colon surgery
- Preparation of the patient for endoscopy
- Preparation of the patient for rectal examination
Fortrans should be applied cautiously in the following situations:
- In patients who are dehydrated
- In patients who have heart failure (due to the risk of acute pulmonary edema)
- In patients with colon cancer
- In patients with ileus (bowel movements disorder)
- In patients who have perforation of the colon
This drug can disrupt the absorption of other drugs that you are taking and their effects can be reduced. Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines.
This drug can sometimes result in disrupted water and electrolyte balance in the organism, especially in patients who have heart failure or are taking diuretics.
Interactions with medicines and food
As already stated, this drug can reduce absorption and effects of other drugs.
Don't take food after you take this medicine.
Fortrans, pregnancy and breastfeeding
Fortrans should be used during pregnancy only if there is an urgent need for it.
It can be used during breastfeeding.
How to use
Dissolve contents of the sachet in one liter (33.88 us fl. oz.) of water. For colonic lavage, you'll need four liters (135.5 us fl. oz.) which means you need to take four sachets and to dissolve them in 4 liters of water.
Take half of the prepared drink (2 liters or 67.75 us fl. oz.) the night before the procedure and take the other half the next morning. You should also take an additional 250 ml (8.5 us fl. oz.) 3-4 hours before the procedure.
You do not have to drink two liters all at once, but 250 ml every 10 minutes.
Side effects of Fortrans powder include:
- Nausea and vomiting (disappears very quickly after few minutes)
- Stretching the bowels
- Allergic reactions (occurs very rarely)
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.