Imotil - Precautions | Dosage | Use
Imotil contains an active substance called loperamide. It belongs to the family of medicines called antidiarrheals. It is used to treat acute diarrhea in adults and children above the age of 4. It also can be used to treat chronic diarrhea in adults.
It can be used as adjunctive therapy in patients with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
Imotil should be avoided in following conditions:
- In patients who are allergic to active substance (loperamide) or any other similar medications. Call your doctor immediately if you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy (itchy skin, swelling of the lips, trouble breathing).
- In patients with chronic disease
- In patients with metabolism disorders
- During pregnancy
- In children under the age of 4
- If patients with constipation, abdominal bloating and inflammatory bowel disease.
Imotil should not be used to treat acute dysentery (characterized by bloody diarrhea and fever).
It should be used with extra precautions in following conditions:
- In patients with liver damage. It is necessary to reduce the dose in these patients.
You should avoid driving a car or operating machinery if you feel dizzy or drowsy.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Imotil should be avoided in combination with following medicines:
- Antibiotics, such as:
- erythromycin and clarithromycin.
- Medicines used to treat heartburn, gastric ulcers and duodenal ulcers, such as:
- ranitidine and others.
- Medicines used to treat heart diseases, such as:
- enalapril and others.
- Antiplatelet medicines, such as:
- Medicines used to treat HIV, such as:
- atazanavir and indinavir.
- Medicines used to treat fungal infections, such as:
- ketoconazole and fluconazole.
Use of Imotil during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Imotil should be avoided during pregnancy.
It passes into breast milk, therefore you should avoid breastfeeding while using this medicine.
How to use
Usual dose is 2 mg (one Imotil tablet), 1-2 times a day. Swallow the tablet whole, without chewing or crushing. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after three days of taking Imotil.
Adults and children aged 9-12 years
Usual initial dose is 2-4 mg (1-2 tablets) per day, then dose can be increased up to 2 mg three times a day. Maximum daily dose is 10 mg (5 tablets).
Children aged 4-8 years
The recommended dose is 2 mg per day. Maximum daily dose is 4 mg.
Usual initial dose is 4-8 mg (2-4 tablets) per day in divided doses. Do not take more than 5 tablets (10 mg) per day.
Your doctor will prescribe right dose for you. Dose depends on the severity of the diarrhea.
Imotil can cause following side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Allergic reaction.
Call your doctor right away if you are experiencing any of these side effects.
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.