Mucomyst - Precautions | Use | Side Effects
Mucomyst (also known as Acetylcysteine - Fluimucil) belongs to the family of medicines called mucolytics. This medicines works by breaking down disulfide bonds between mucoproteins in the mucus, thus decreasing mucus viscosity which make coughing up the mucus much easier. It is used to relieve cough in following conditions:
- Acute bronchitis
- Chronic asthmatic bronchitis
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Cystic fibrosis
- Amyloidosis of the lung
It can be used to treat paracetamol poisoning.
Mucomyst should be avoided in following conditions:
- In patients allergic to active ingredient of Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) and other similar medicines. Call your doctor immediately if you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as: itchy skin, skin rash, swelling of the lips, swelling of the tongue or difficulty breathing.
- Gastric ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers
- Elderly patients
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding
Use of Mucomyst during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Animal studies have shown no adverse effects on the fetus, but there are no human studies. This medicine should be used only if the benefits to the mother outweighs risk to the child.
There are no data whether this medicine passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding should be avoided while using this medicine.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Mucomyst should be avoided in combination with following medicines:
- Oral activated charcoal. Concomitant use of Mucomyst with activated charcoal, may decrease the absorption of Mucmyst and decrease its effectiveness.
- Cephalosporins (antibiotics).
- Oral nitroglycerin (medicine used to treat angina pectoris). Concomitant use of Mucomyst and nitroglycerin may cause low blood pressure.
You doctor will explain you how to use this medicine. Treatment usually lasts 5-10 days. Call your doctor right away, if your symptoms get worse.
Mucomyst is well tolerated and rarely causes side effects.
It can cause following side effects:
- Bronchospasm (narrowing of the bronchi). This leads to: shortness of breath and trouble breathing.
- Abdominal pain
Call your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.