Nordic diet - Meal plan | Benefits
The Nordic diet is a relatively new diet and was created in 2009 in Copenhagen, in the Faculty of Medicine. It was invented by doctors and nutritionists to reduce obesity in the country by giving people a meal plan that would be healthy, tasty and sufficient to satiate everyone's hunger. Very quickly it become popular, not only in Scandinavia but also in the whole world, because it was tasty food, and its efficacy. You can expect moderate weight loss if you stick to the diet rules.
One study has shown the effectiveness of this diet. Several hundred participated in this study and they were divided into two groups. The first group ate as usual, as much as they wanted, and the other group ate the food recommended by the Nordic diet, as much as they wanted. After six months, in the first group, no weight loss was recorded, while in the second group an average loss of 9.5 pounds was recorded. So, with this diet, you can eat as much as you want, but you will lose weight. And best of all, the Nordic diet is a healthy diet that will provide your body with everything it needs. Also, during this study, a significant loss of abdominal fat was recorded in Nordic diet group.
Foods you can eat with the Nordic diet
During the Nordic diet, you can eat the following foods:
- Fish (especially salmon)
- Fruit (especially blueberries, strawberries and grapes)
- Vegetables (especially cabbage and kale)
- Cereals (oats and barley)
- From meat, you can eat venison (if not available, then you can eat beef)
- Rye bread with flaxseeds
- Use of spices, such as:
- rosemary and thyme is mandatory
- Rapeseed oil
- Grape seed oil (for frying)
- Freshly squeezed fruit juices
- Nuts (walnuts, Brazil nuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, pine nuts and others)
Foods you should avoid with Nordic diet
During the Nordic diet, avoid the following foods:
- Fast food (hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, pancakes, etc.)
- White flour
- White rice
- Olive oil
- Chocolates, cakes, cookies and other sweets
- Red meat, especially pork
In Scandinavian countries, blueberry sauce is very popular, and is delicious and healthy. It was shown that it is an excellent antibiotic, kills bacteria and fungi in the body, which is particularly suitable for people with urinary infections.
Scandinavians very often eat a dish made of cabbage and kale (at least three times a week). If you are a good cook, you can prepare a variety of delicious dishes made of cabbage and kale. Cabbage and kale are very rich sources of vitamin K as well as other vitamins and minerals that lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body.
From fruits, Scandinavians eat a lot of walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and peanuts. These fruits are very rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that has many important roles in the body. One of its roles is to maintain sperm count and sperm motility, which is very important in the treatment of men's infertility. For this reason, the Scandinavian countries have the lowest percentage of infertile men. In addition, nuts contain copper, selenium and vitamin B9, which are suitable for people who are struggling with anemia.
Nordic diet - meal plan
- Breakfast: Grilled mushrooms and nuts
- Lunch: Grilled / baked herring with rye bread with flaxseeds
- Supper: Boiled cabbage and kale
- Breakfast: Skagen toast (see the recipe below)
- Lunch: Grilled salmon, rye bread and cabbage salad
- Supper: Braised red cabbage (prepared with canola oil, onions, apples and seasoned with caraway seeds)
- Breakfast: Cooked celery and carrots
- Lunch: Beef (fried, baked, boiled or grilled) and cabbage salad
- Supper: Tuna
It is not specified in the diet plan but you should always eat nuts between meals. Quantities of food are not specified, because the rules of the Nordic diet are to eat until you are full.
Benefits of Nordic diet
The benefits of the Nordic diet are following:
- You can eat as much as you like
- It is very healthy
- Suitable for people with high cholesterol and triglycerides levels
- Suitable for diabetics
- Suitable for people with anemia
- Moderate loss of body weight (about 10 pounds in 6 months), which is in accordance with the recommendations of the World Health Organization
Disadvantages of Nordic diet
The only disadvantage of the Nordic diet is that foods are usually unavailable in your local grocery store.
Skagen toast recipe
Mix three tablespoons of low fat yogurt, three teaspoons of chopped dill, two tablespoons of low fat mayonnaise, one tablespoon of lemon juice, freshly grated lemon peel, one teaspoon of salt and about 40 already cooked shrimps.
In another bowl (pan), melt a tablespoon of butter and canola oil. In this fat, fry five rye bread slices until they are a golden color. On the prepared toast, apply the previously prepared mixture and it is ready to eat.
The Nordic diet is probably one of the best diets we can recommend. It is based on a high intake of colorful, healthy food and prohibits everything that is harmful for your body. Given that you can eat as much as you want until you're full, it is easy to handle and the results will be visible in a few months.
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.