Persen - Use | Side effects | Dose
Persen is herbal remedy that contains extracts of three herbs: valerian (lat. Valeriana officinalis), lemon balm (lat. Melissa officinalis) and peppermint (lat. Mentha piperita). The combination of these herbs is used to calm and to relieve tension and anxiety as well as in the treatment of insomnia.
- It can be purchased without a prescription. However, talk with your doctor or pharmacist before you start to use this medicine.
- It should be avoided in patients allergic to valerian, lemon balm or mint. If you are experiencing symptoms of an allergy, such as:
- itching of the skin,
- skin rash,
- swelling of the face,
- swelling of the tongue and difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
- Persen should be used with extra precautions in patients with heartburn because this herbal remedy contains mint, which can worsen symptoms in these patients.
- Because it contains mint, It must be used with extra precautions in patients with gallbladder or bile duct disorders.
- It should be avoided in children under the age of 12.
- This drug should not be used in combination with alcohol, due to the increased risk of adverse effects.
Use of Persen during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended, due to lack of the data.
Persen use and dosage
- Usual dose to calm and relieve tension and nervousness is 3-4 Persen tablets, 3 times a day.
- The usual dose in the treatment of insomnia is 3-4 tablets, half an hour before bedtime.
Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
An overdose with this drug is rare. If symptoms of an overdose occur, such as:
- chest pain,
- abdominal pain, contact your doctor immediately.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
It should be avoided concomitant with the following medicines:
- Other drugs used to calm and to treat insomnia and tension, such as:
- bromazepam (Lexilium, Lexaurin),
- lorazepam (Loram),
- alprazolam (Xanax, Ksalol),
- midazolam and others.
Tell your doctor about all medications and herbal products you are taking.
Persen side effects
This medicament rarely causes side effects. Side effects are usually mild:
- abdominal pain,
- heartburn and others. If these symptoms get worse or if you are experiencing any other side effects, contact your doctor.
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.