Sonoma diet - Precautions | Meal plan
The Sonoma diet is created by PhD Connie Guttersen and is based on the nutrition presented among residents living in the wine region in California (a region known as Sonoma). Their nutrition is based on foods from a Mediterranean cuisine and plenty of fruit, which is why only 5% of Sonoma residents are obese.
Does Sonoma diet work?
Connie believes that each of us should eat the food he/she enjoys, but in limited quantities.
Therefore, this diet is divided into three waves.
The first wave lasts for 10 days and the main rule is to avoid sweets, large amounts of fat and fruits during these 10 days. During these 10 days you can eat a lot of protein foods (primarily meat with a low percentage of fat), dairy products and seafood.
First wave - Meal plan
Note: Each day, at lunch, you can eat one medium or two thin slices of buckwheat, rye, barley or oat bread or bread made from a mixture of buckwheat, roasted, barley and oat flour.
First wave - Day one
- Breakfast: Salmon pie. If you cannot prepare this pie or you cannot buy it in a nearby bakery, just cook one fillet of salmon (not more than 1 cup). You can also eat green salad with salmon.
- Lunch: 2 cups of shrimp salad (made of shrimps, cucumber, garlic, radish, cheese and tomato) sprinkled with olive oil.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken with vegetables (pepper, tomato and zucchini)
First wave - Day two
- Breakfast: Omelette (made of two eggs) with mushrooms and cheese.
- Lunch: 1 cup (145 grams or 5 oz.) of chicken salad. Salad is made by mixing chicken breast, tomato, cheese, cucumber and pepper.
- Dinner: 1 serving of hake fillet (180 grams)
First wave - Day three
- Breakfast: Poached eggs
- Lunch: Tuna salad
- Dinner: 1 cup (225 grams or 7.9 oz.) of lamb with salad made with vegetables.
First wave - Day four
- Breakfast: Three hard-boiled eggs
- Lunch: 2 cups (250 grams or 8.8 oz.) of cooked turkey with beans
- Dinner: 1 cup (136 grams 4.5 oz.) of cooked mackerel
First wave - Day five
- Breakfast: Oat flakes
- Lunch: One fillet of salmon and 1 cup of rice
- Dinner: Chicken with broccoli and almonds
After the fifth day, you can repeat above menu once more.
Estimated weight loss after 1st wave: 6.65 lbs. (3 kg).
During the second wave you can eat all the food from the first wave, but you can also add fruits between meals. You are still not allowed sweets and meat with a high content of fat. The second wave should last until you reach the desired weight loss.
During the second wave, it is recommended that you eat 25% of cereals and 75% of protein for breakfast, and 25% of protein, 25% of fruit, 25% of vegetables and 25% of cereals for lunch and dinner.
The third wave implies the continuation of this diet even after reaching the desired body weight, in order to prevent regaining lost pounds and help your body adjust to a healthy diet. At this stage, you are allowed to eat sweets or fast food (pizza, hamburger, burrito and others) once a week. You can eat snacks like almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts but avoid chips and all other unhealthy snacks.
What you are allowed to eat during Sonoma diet
You should not eat fruits during the first wave, but you need to eat them moderately during the second wave and regularly during the third wave. You can eat all kind of fruits.
From vegetables, you can eat tomato, pepper, cabbage, cucumber, beans, peas, zucchini, lettuce, broccoli, kale, garlic and lettuce during the first wave. These vegetables have a low-calorie content and will help you to lose weight fast. During the second wave, you can also add beets. In the third wave you can add other kinds of vegetables (e.g. corn, bean and pumpkin).
From dairy products, you are allowed to eat up to 1/2 cup of cheese daily during the first wave. In the second wave you can also eat yogurt.
Although many web sites state that this diet is ideal for nursing mothers who have gained a lot of pounds during pregnancy, given the increased needs of both, mothers and infants during the breastfeeding period, we do not advise nursing mothers to use this diet without prior consultation with the doctor.