Totacillin - Use | Precautions | Side Effects
This article was medically reviewed by M.Pharm, Marko Tanaskovic on August 12, 2018. To read more about an author, click here.
Totacillin contains ampicillin which belongs to the antibiotics. It interfere with synthesis of bacterial walls, which leads to their death. Because of this effects, Totacillin is used to treat numerous infections, such as:
- Otitis media (middle ear infections)
- Urinary tract infections
- Gynecological infections
- Prevention of dental abscess
This list is not complete. Totacillin may be used for other purposes not listed above.
According to Drugs.com, this medicine should be used cautiously in patients with kidney disorders, asthma and blood clotting disorders.
It is important to know that this medicine is not effective against viruses. Therefore, you cannot use this medicine to treat cold or flu.
This medicine may cause serious allergic reaction - fortunately, this side effect occurs very rarely. However, you should be aware of allergy symptoms and you should see your doctor if any of allergy symptoms occur.
Totacillin is mostly excreted unchanged through the kidneys and moderately through the billiary tract.
This medication may also cause false positive results with certain urine tests.
Use of Totacillin during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Totacillin may be used during pregnancy only if recommended by your doctor. Do not start using this medicine on your own. FDA has classified Totacillin in the group B, which means that Totacillin is not expected to have side effects to the fetus.
Totacillin is excreted into breast milk in sufficient amounts to cause potential allergic reaction in babies. Because of possible allergic reaction, you should avoid breastfeeding while using this medicine.
How to use
Totacillin comes in injectable and tablet form. Totacillin injections (powder for solution for injections) can be administered only in a healthcare setting.
To use tablet form you will need prescription provided by your doctor.
If you want to see dosage in more details, visit: Ampicillin.
Use with other medicines
Do not take following medications together with Totacillin:
- Probenecid. This medicine should not be used at the same time as Totacillin, because it may lead to increased half-life of ampicillin (active ingredient of Totacillin) and may cause adverse effects.1
- Metronidazole and tinidazole. If used together they may lead to interactions on the effect against anaerobic bacteria.2
You should always inform your doctor about all medications you are using. Never start using another medicine without your doctor's advice.
Check side effects on this article: Ampicillin.
- J Kampmann, F Lindahl, JM Hansen, and others. Effect of probenecid on the excretion of ampicillin in human bile. Br J Pharmacol. 1973: 47 (4): 782-786.
- Bergan T, Fotland MH. In vitro interactions between metronidazole or tinidazole and ampicillin, doxycycline and co-trimoxazole on the effect against anaerobic bacteria. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl. 1984: 91: 95-101.
- Rogers HJ, James CA, Morrison PJ., and others. Effect of cimetidine on oral absorption of ampicillin and cotrimoxazole. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1980: 6 (2): 297-300.
Information on this website are provided for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.