Trimox - Use | Dose | Side Effects
Trimox is an antibiotic that belongs to a group of medicines called beta-lactam antibiotics. This medicine is used to treat bacterial infections, such as:
- Respiratory infections (pneumonia, brocnhitis and tonsilitis)
- Tooth abscess
- H.pylori infections (peptic ulcer)
Use of this medicine should be avoided in following conditions:
- If you are allergic to Trimox or any other antibiotics.
- If you are infected with Epstein Barr virus (causes disease known as infectious mononucleosis)
- If you have been diagnosed with lymphatic leukemia (blood cancer). Use of this medicine in these patients increases risk of skin rash.
This medicine should be used only with extra precautions in following conditions:
- If you have kidney stones.
- If you have decreased kidney function. Patients with decreased kidney function excrete this medicine more slowly than healthy individuals, which may lead to accumulation of this medicine. Therefore, dosage adjustment is necessary in these patients.
Use with other medicines (Interactions)
Trimox should be avoided with following medications:
- Medicines used to treat gout (probenecid and allopurinol)
- Oral contraceptives
Use of Trimox during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Consult your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking any medicine during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
It should be used only when necessary. Animal studies have shown no harmful effects to fetus, but there are no well-controlled studies in humans.
Trimox passes into breast milk and may harm your baby. Avoid breastfeeding while taking this medicine.
How to use
Take this medicine with a 8 ounces of water.
It is recommended to take this medicine 1 hour prior meal or 2 hours after meal.
Respiratory infections (mild)
500 mg three times a day. Treatment should last at least 7 days.
Severe infection of the lung
3000 mg (6 tablets) two times a day.
Two 3000 mg doses with eight hours between doses.
One 3000 mg dose.
Two 3000 mg doses with 12 hours between doses.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or crush the tablet, as this may affect its efficacy.
Trimox may cause following side effects:
- Allergic reaction (hives, rash, fever, joint pain and swelling)
- Colitis (inflammation of the inner lining of the colon), Symptoms of colitis include: diarrhea (sometimes with blood admixture), pain and fever
- Candidiasis (fungal infection)
- Renal impairment
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual lightness of skin color (paleness)
Inform your doctor if you are experiencing any side effects.